Few things are so sweet as matching dresses for mommy and daughter. A cheery sunflower dress makes the perfect summer statement!
Matching sundresses bring a special sentiment for sisters or mother and daughter / daughters.
Of course, sunflower dresses are amazing regardless of kids – I just happened to have two daughters whom I loved to dress up. 🙂
And personally, I can’t wait to wear my sunflower dress to harvest fruits and veggies from our garden some sunny afternoon.
I see all these lovely gardeners on Instagram in gorgeous garden-worthy dresses and skirts. I’ve found my vibe and it’s all in the sunflower dress!
A Sunflower Dress for Any Occasion
Ideal for a garden party, photo shoot, barbecue, back to school, or just about any reason, you can’t go wrong with sunflower patterns.
I still remember getting my first sunflower dress back in the day when I was graduating 8th grade. I was so proud to wear that sunflower sundress under my royal blue cap and gown.
It worked out perfectly for my graduation party after the ceremony!
Today as a grown mother of two girls, I love sunflower dresses just as much and even more.
We enjoyed doing a back-to-school garden photo shoot with the girls in sunflower dresses. A few of our garden’s sunflowers even made a cameo!
Features of a Sunflower Sundress
As you look for the best sunflower dress, remember to consider these key features to help you make your decision:
- The Fit – First and foremost, are you looking for something loose and flowy or a dress with a tighter fit? (Or maybe something in-between?) You can find a flattering sunflower dress that also fits comfortably.
- Length – Are you looking for a Sunflower Maxi Dress or a shorter sundress? Once you know the length, you can begin to narrow down the selections.
- Neckline – From sleeveless to strapless, spaghetti straps, halter neck, cap sleeves, flutter sleeves, and beyond, you have so many styles to consider.
- Pattern – Do you prefer small, understated sunflowers or large, expressive sunflowers? Perhaps something in the middle? Have fun browsing the many styles of sunflower dresses.
- Background – Think about the main coloring of the dress. Many sunflower dresses are available with a black background or a white background. You can surely find other color combinations as well, such as blue, aqua, navy, teal, or pink.
- Price Point – Luckily for all of us, it’s easy to find sunflower dresses for every budget.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links from various companies, which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, my daughters and I might make a little bit of money, at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Sunflower Maxi Dresses
Extend the wear time of your favorite fashions with a sunflower maxi dress. You can pair it with a cardigan and wear it well into the fall!
When choosing a sunflower maxi dress, consider these factors to help you select one you’ll love:
- Length – If you’re petite and on the vertically challenged side like me, you may want to measure yourself and compare it to the length of the dress.
- Stretchiness – Stretchy maxi dresses and skirts are divine! Look for a stretchy fabric that you’ll want to live in all day.
- Color Scheme – Since they’re so popular, sunflower dresses are available in a wide variety of backgrounds. Consider whether you wish to have a dark or light dress.
- Straps – Consider whether you wish to go sleeveless, strapless, or with some lovely style of sleeves to set off the neckline of the dress.
Coordinating Mommy & Me Dresses
In most cases, you may not find a 100% perfect match in styles between kids and adult sizes. If you’re going for matching dresses, simply try to find the closest match.
- Color – Choose patterns with the same background color.
- Shape – Try to select dresses with similar shape and size of sunflowers.
- Style – If possible, look for dresses that have a similar length. While not as important, try to match up the neckline or sleeve style if it works out.
When in doubt, show your daughters the choices and let them pick! It’s sure to be a memorable moment when you dress up together.
Sunflower Dress Accessories
Once you’ve found an adorable matching sunflower dress for yourself and your daughter or daughters, it’s onto shoes!
Shoes / Sandals
White strappy sandals are sure to look lovely, although brown or black sandals could also be a pretty choice.
For our girls, I selected denim jean jackets for a throwback style that adds a little casual fun. We took pictures with and without the jean jackets and loved both looks.
A white or yellow headband would be darling with a sunflower dress! You can also go for a blue bow – ours had a sequin ponytail bow.
Sunflower clips or barrettes would also look fab!
Garden Photo Shoot in a Sunflower Dress
It’s so much fun taking photos outside among all the flowers and natural settings. Set up a garden photo shoot with your kids for stunning and memorable photos.
If possible, try to snap some of these poses in the garden or around the property:
- Holding Hands – Sisters holding hands looking at the tallest sunflower.
- Barefoot – Daughter(s) playing barefoot in the rain or splashing in a puddle. (a clean one!)
- Mommy & Me Portrait – Mommy and daughter or daughters in focus with a blurred sunflower background.
- In Focus with Flowers – Children in sunflower dresses standing centered in front of other colorful garden flowers, such as zinnias.
- Birdbath – Try snapping a few fun pictures near a birdbath, fountain or other water feature if available.
- Garden Props – Shoot a few photos with a watering can – the smaller the child, the larger the watering can. J
- Harvesting – If possible, snap some photos of your daughters tasting some fruit from their pick-your-own backyard. Filling a harvest basket in sunflower dresses would also be a precious pic!
Where to Buy Sunflower Dresses
My favorite place to shop for the perfect sunflower dress is Amazon. I bought all three of our sunflower dresses there in 2020.
The sheer volume of choices makes it easy to find a great dress, even if you’re a little picky about styles.
Another fun place to buy sunflower dresses is Etsy. I love the creative styles offered by so many talented artisans skilled in their craft.
You can find sunflower dresses for all ages at either shop! I’ve shared some of my favorites throughout this post.
I hope you find the perfect sunflower dress for yourself or your favorite little ones!
Do you have any other special ideas for enjoying life in a sunflower dress? Let’s chat in the comments!