This balsamic bruschetta chicken bake recipe is a one-pan meal you can enjoy as a simple weeknight dinner. The leftovers are almost as fantastic as the first time around, and the meal brings together a lot of healthy ingredients.
When you don’t know what to make for dinner, this quick bruschetta chicken bake saves the day. As long as you have a few garden staples in your kitchen, you’ll be in great shape to enjoy this healthy entrée.
Fresh from the Garden
Nothing beats the mingling scents of the basil and tomato plant companions in the container garden I created with my young daughters. We lovingly call it our “pizza garden.”
I happened upon this recipe when harvesting Roma tomatoes and basil at the same time one summer afternoon. The enticing aroma inspired me to create this easy recipe totally from scratch!
This bruschetta chicken bake recipe brings together the best of both flavors – tomatoes and basil – along with savory spices, tender chicken, and fresh mozzarella. It’s the perfect choice for Sunday dinner OR an easy weeknight meal.
How to Make Easy Balsamic Bruschetta Chicken Bake
This simple, at-home Italian meal features Roma tomatoes, fresh basil, and the McCormick Italian Herb Seasoning Grinder for garden-fresh flavors.
Balsamic Bruschetta Chicken Bake
- 2 chicken breasts
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or balsamic glaze)
- 1.5 tsp McCormick Italian Seasoning Grinder
- 1/2 cup fresh or shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut open the tomatoes, remove the seeds, and dice into half-inch cubes.
- Put the diced tomatoes in the roasting pan. Spread them out into a single layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil and then balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle basil leaves on top. (Set aside some basil for later.) Add more balsamic glaze or vinegar if desired.
- Grind McCormick Italian Seasoning Grinder onto the diced tomatoes, to taste. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim the fat and gristle off the chicken breasts. Slice each breast into two filets as if you’re going to butterfly it, but cut all the way through. You should now have 4 thin pieces of chicken.
- Remove the pan of roasted tomatoes from the oven. Stir the tomatoes.
- Place each piece of chicken in the pan, press down to pick up some flavors, and immediately flip over. Repeat for all the chicken. Scoop some of the tomatoes on top of each piece of chicken breast.
- Add basil leaves and use the Italian seasoning grinder again.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Put the pan back in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan to add bits of fresh mozzarella or shredded mozzarella – your choice.
- Continue to cook until chicken is done. Slice the thickest one at the center to check for doneness. Remove and enjoy!
- TIP: I find that this recipe takes longer to cook fully through than most chicken breast recipes. Sacrifice one piece, cutting it open at the thickest point and checking for doneness. (Taste it, if desired.)
Bruschetta Chicken is delicious with a side of Fettuccini, Linguini, or other pasta. Simply toss the pasta with some of the leftover pan juices for a palatable accompaniment.
You might also enjoy some crusty Italian bread on the side!
Healthy Bruschetta Chicken Sides
Pasta makes a wonderful addition to this Italian-inspired dish, and it’s my favorite to serve my family, but it’s far from being your only option. Without the noodles, this low carb Bruschetta chicken offers a healthy meal for the family.
Here are some healthy bruschetta chicken sides to consider making with your meal.
- Steamed Green Beans with Garlic and Olive Oil
- Roasted or Grilled Yellow Squash and Zucchini
- Antipasto or Charcuterie Board / Platter
- Fresh In-Season Fruit Salad
- Steamed Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto
- Hearts of Romaine Salad with Cucumbers, Carrots, and Snow Peas
- Wedge Salad with Bacon Bits
These are just a few suggestions of sides for bruschetta chicken.
You can also turn balsamic bruschetta chicken leftovers into a toasted sandwich!
So many delicious possibilities!
I hope you like this simple and yummy recipe! Please share the love on social media so more people can enjoy this easy meal.